The Battle between Shrovetide and Lent
Music, words and song from 16th and 17th Century Britain
for Shrovetide and the beginning of Lent.
- Feasting, fasting, revels, sports, pancakes and football.
- Ballads, carols, dances, masque songs, theatre music and readings.
- Includes music by Campion, Ferrabosco, Gibbons and Peerson;
- and readings from Dekker, Dunbar, Gay, Hawkins and Shakespeare.
- Taylor Aucoin: narrator
- Eleanor Cramer: soprano, viols
- Richard de Winter: baritone, actor
- Robin Jeffrey: lute, cittern
- Alison Kinder: viols, recorders
- Tamsin Lewis: violin, alto
“a very well-researched, assembled, and presented programme, which deserves repeated hearings”
Garry Humphreys, Church Times
Here are two extracts from the programme: